Skip to Main Content

Admissions & Records

This is an example of an inside Header

Student Grievances

The LACCD Student Grievance Policy and Procedures (AP 5530) provides an equitable means to resolve student grievances. It is the process of filing a formal complaint against an alleged inappropriate action by a college faculty, administrator, or staff. The student bears the responsibility of providing the proof or evidence to substantiate a claim of inappropriate action.

The student grievance procedures does NOT apply to the following circumstances:

  • Challenge process for prerequisites, co-requisites, advisories and limitations on enrollment. Information on challenges to prerequisites is available from the Office of Academic Affairs.
  • Alleged violations of sexual harassment, actions dealing with alleged discrimination on the basis of ethnic group identification, religion, age, sex, color, sexual orientation, physical or mental disability. These complaints are handled through the LACCD Office for Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
  • An appeal for residency determination. A completed Supplemental Residency Questionnaire Residency appeals should be filed with the Admissions and Records Office.
  • Eligibility, disqualification or reinstatement of financial aid. Procedures for Financial Aid Appeals including eligibility, disqualification or reinstatement of Financial Aid may be obtained in the Financial Aid Office.
  • Student Discipline: Actions dealing with student discipline are handled through the Office of Student Life.
  • Freedom of the Press: Issues pertaining to freedom of press and journalism are addressed in Administrative Regulation E-63 and Board Rules 9703 and 9704.
  • Employee Discipline. Students may file complaints about employee conduct with the appropriate administrator (see Board Rule 10101 -- Unsolicited Written Derogatory Communications).
  • Challenges of established LACCD policies, e.g. Board Rules and Administrative Regulations. Grievances regarding District policy, which are beyond the authority of a college president, shall be referred to the Chancellor or Chancellor's designee for appropriate handling and response.
  • Financial claims against the District. Financial claims need to be made through the Los Angeles Community College District Risk Management.

The LACCD Student Grievance Procedures apply to student request for course grade change. However, the process to request a course grade change is subject to the California Education Code Section 76224(a), which states:

“When grades are given for any course of instruction taught in a community college district, the grade given to each student shall be the grade determined by the instructor of the course and the determination of the student's grade by the instructor, in the absence of mistake, fraud, bad faith*, or incompetency, shall be final.”

* In general, there is no definitive definition of bad faith. However, bad faith may exist if there is neglect or refusal to fulfill some duty or obligation (e.g. ignoring student evaluation standards published in the course syllabus not prompted by an honest mistake).

Student Grievance Process

Students who meet the criteria for filing a student grievance as described above should complete the following steps:

Step 1: Complete the Student Grievance Checklist Form

Step 2: Submit the completed Student Grievance Checklist form to Dr. Saadia Lagarde Porche in Admission and Records or via email

For questions about the student grievance procedures, please contact the campus ombudspersons:

Dr. Saadia Lagarde Porche, Dean of Student Services
Phone: (323) 953-4000 Ext. 2011 | Student Services Bldg., Admissions and Records


What is an Ombudsperson?
How do I contact the Chair of the Department or the Dean of Academic Affairs?
What happens when I see the ombudsperson?
Is it possible to change a grade?
How long does the grade appeal process take?
What is the deadline for filing a Grade Change or Grievance Hearing Request?
Who makes the final grade decision?