Returning Students

Returning Students Page

You are considered a returning student if you have been previously enrolled at LACC but had a break of more than two semesters between enrollments at Los Angeles City College. Although you may have already submitted an application to attend LACC when you first started here, if it has been at least two semesters since you last enrolled you will need to submit another application.

Enrolling at LACC

Step 1: Submit Another Application to LACC

Note: If taking a course at the college while in high school, you are considered a current high school student. If you graduate or discontinue enrollment from high school prior to entering college, you are considered a new student.

Step 2:  Submit Official Transcripts

You can have your official, sealed transcript and/or score report mailed directly to our college from your previous college/university. Bring official transcripts from all high schools, colleges and trade schools attended. With these reports, you may be able to:

  • Clear prerequisites for advanced language courses
  • Meet transfer requirements
  • AP score reports may also help you receive college credit; consult a counselor to learn more

Advanced Placement (AP) and or International Baccalaureate (IB) shall be used toward meeting General Education requirements and graduation competency for the Associate of Arts and Associate of Science Degrees. Students must receive a passing score (3, 4, or 5) on an AP exam to receive the credit. Proof of any AP credit should be taken to the Admissions Office in SS-1F, and appropriate credit will be reflected on your transcript.

Step 3: Apply for Financial Aid

Financial aid in the form of grants, scholarships, fee waivers, work study and student loans are available.
The Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) is available at each of our college campuses or you can apply online at To be eligible for various grants, you must submit your form by March 2. Applications are available at the campus Financial Aid Office. To learn more, please contact the Financial Aid office.

Step 4: Make a Counseling Appointment

See a counselor in advance of registration. Make sure you are selecting the correct classes to reach your academic goals; whether it is a degree, certificate, university transfer or other professional/personal goal. You can schedule a counseling appointment online or in person at the Assessment/Matriculation office (SS-2F).

Step 5: Get Registered!

You will receive an appointment date and time to register for your classes (by e-mail or in person at the Admissions Office). Counselors can help you select classes before you enroll. On or after that counseling appointment, you can go to the Student Information System to enroll online. Enroll early since classes fill quickly!