Associate Degree for Transfer (ADT) 

Transfer Guarantee

Articulation Agreements

Health Related Major

Historically Black Colleges & Universities ( HBCU) 


Frequently Asked Questions

Mission Statement/Program Outcomes

Staff & Location

 Facebook Link

Frequently Asked Questions

Q. What is the difference between an Associate of Arts/Science and a Bachelor of Arts/Science degrees?

A. Community College (like Los Angeles City College) offers the Associate of Arts and Associate Science degrees. It requires that you complete a minimum of 60 units of general education and/or major classes. At Los Angeles City College there are two plans that can be followed for an Associate of Art or Associate of Science degree. (Please see a counselor for further explanation.) The Associate of Arts and Associate of Science degrees are offered at two year colleges.

A four-year college or university offers the Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degrees, which are more, advanced. It requires that you complete a minimum of 120 semester units (depending on your major) before graduating with the Bachelor's degree, enrolling in 60 lower division units at the community college, and approximately 60 upper division units at the university.

Q. What is the difference between "lower division" and "upper division" classes?

A. Lower division are survey or introductory type classes. On most college campuses (two and four year colleges and universities) lower division classes are numbered 100 - 299.Upper division classes are generally specializing in your chosen major and are more advanced usually numbering 300 - 499.

Community colleges do not offer upper division classes. Some community college classes may number above 299 but these classes are for specialized certificate programs. Usually you must take lower division courses before enrolling in upper division.

Q. Why do some students transfer to a university?

A. The type of career chosen may require a degree beyond the Associate of Arts, Associate of Science or a Certificate completed at a community college.

Generally community colleges offer classes that are at the freshman and sophomore levels. For some careers an Associates degree is sufficient. However, for other careers, you will need to take advanced classes and these are usually offered at four year institutions.


Q. Where can I get information about colleges and universities?

A. The campus Transfer Center located on the 1st floor of the Cesar Chavez Administration Building, room 109. Check the Transfer Center page for the hours - http://www.lacitycollege.edu/services/transfer/index.html

Counselors located throughout the campus can give you information on universities.

Instructors who teach classes in your major often can provide information about colleges and universities that offer strong programs in your field of interest.

The campus library or public libraries also offer information

A web site through Yahoo, for example, provides information.

Q. What are the services offered at the Transfer Center?


One-to-one college/university consultation/advisement

University preparation workshops

University representatives, outreach and faculty meetings with students at LACC

Peer advisors from UCLA meet at LACC

Electronic/paper application assistance to 4-year universities

IGETC,CSU GE, ASSIST and other genearal education and major preparation information

Transfer major-specific workshops

Guaranteed Transfer Agreement

Annual University Transfer Day

USC Scholars Program

University of California Data Sharing

UCLA Center of Community College Partnership Program

Transition Workshops

Q. Which classes do I have to complete if I want to transfer?

A. To transfer as an "upper division student" at the junior level, you need to complete approximately 60 transferable units. These classes should include identified general education, major and if needed elective courses. If you choose to transfer as a "lower division student" you must send, along with the college application, community college transcript(s), a high school transcript(s) and SAT scores.

At Los Angeles City College you can complete the lower division classes in general education and a major. Again, these classes are usually numbered 100 - 299. Since your major for transfer may change while you are here at LACC, it is important that you meet with a counselor to adjust your course of study to meet the required transfer agreement.


Q. Where can I transfer to?

A. There are several options. Your options include University of California, California State University, University of Southern California and other private and independent institutions.

LACC students transfer to out-of-state, international and the historically black colleges and universities.


Q. What is the difference between the University of California (UC), California State University, (CSU), University of Southern California (USC) and other private and independent colleges and universities?

A. The University of California (such as UCLA, UCSB, UCB, UCR ) is a nine (9) campus system. They offer degrees ranging from the Bachelor of Arts/Science to degrees such as the Doctoral of
Philosophy (Ph.D.) or Doctoral of Education (Ed.D.) The UC also has a variety of graduate level professional schools, Law School and School of Medicine. Research is one mission.

California State University (CSU) is a twenty-three (23) campus system which includes CSULA, CSULB, CSUN, CSUDH and others. They offer the Bachelor of Arts/Science and Masters (graduate) degrees.

U.S.C. and other private universities  offer undergraduate and graduate degrees.

UC and CSU are public schools and tuition is lower than private institutions. The University of California tuition is higher than the California State University system. The grade point average for transfer to the UC is higher than at the CSU.

Q. Do you have other questions about transfer or like more information?

A.Come to the campus Transfer Center. We are here to serve you.


Kamale Gray, Director
Los Angeles City College Transfer Center - Cesar Chavez Administration Building - AD 109
855 North Vermont Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90029 - (323) 953-4000 ext. 2215