Are you a first time college student? Bet you are unsure of yourself, confused, worried, hesitate, or just flat out lost on what to do for college. How do you become successful in your academics? What classes do you need to take to transfer to the university you want to go to? What major should you choose? How does financial aid work? Where do I go next? Where is the restroom? We can only imagine how many other questions you are asking yourself. The First Year Experience program can provide you answers to those questions, and we can point you in the right direction to the nearest restroom. The First Year Experince program will provide you a supportive and caring environment to enhance your career, social, and academic skills.
The First Year Experience program is designed to prepare you for academic success and to help you in selecting the career path that's right for you. Whether you are transitioning from high school or just beginning your college education, the rigors of college life can present even the best students with challenges that require major adjustments. Sometimes getting started may seem overwhelming, as there are many decisions to make. That is why we have created a supportive environment here at Los Angeles City College, where there are people and programs to assist you with your college career.The First Year Experience program also provides a fun and outgoing experience for your first year in college, because college should not just be about work.
All Students Will:
- Attend FYE orientation sessions
- Enroll in Learning Community Courses (English, Math and a Personal Development) to enhance academic support skills, note-taking, strengthening memory, and time management skills
- Learn different strategies for Success in College
- Attend Field trips
- Be assign to a Peer Mentor (Peer2 Peer Mentor and Tutoring Program)
- Incoming first year students will be paired with a friendly face! A Knowledgeable student leader that will serve to assist academically and psychosocially
- Attend Educational and Informational workshops designed based on student's interest
- Networking opportunities
- Campus involvement opportunities
- Community service opportunities
What Must You Do To Join:
- Complete an application to Los Angeles City College.
- Take the English and math Assessment test
- Schedule an interview with an FYE representative (contact us)
- Complete the FYE application
- Register for FYE courses (English, Math and Personal Development)
Complete the application today!