LACC Foster & Kinship Care Program
|Bienvenidos: esta página en español|
|Welcome to the Foster and Kinship Care Education Program
at Los Angeles City College!
The Foster and Kinship Care Education Program provides quality education and support opportunities for caregivers of children and youth in out-of-home care so that these providers may meet the educational, emotional, behavioral and developmental needs of children and youth.
We offer continuous support for our Resource Parents (Foster, Kinship, and Adoptive) through several workshops and classes in areas such as:
- Parenting Skills (Child Development, Behavior Management, Grief & Loss, Cultural Diversity,
- Permanency Planning (Reunification, Emancipation, Guardianship, Adoption, Working with
- Working with the System (Roles, Responsibilities, and Rights of Resource Parents; Accessing
- Specialized Areas (Prevention of Teen Pregnancy, Prenatal Drug & Alcohol Exposure, Child
In addition we offer the following Pre-Service Certification Trainings:
- D Rate: This training is offered for caregivers that take care of children with severe and
- F Rate: This training is offered for parents that take care of medically fragile children.
- W Rate: Training for parents that take care of a teen parent and their non-dependent
The PS-MAPP (Permanence & Safety: Model Approach to Partnerships in Parenting) is a 33 hour training offered to individuals that want to become Foster or Adoptive Parents with Los Angeles County.
Renewal Hours for Los Angeles County Resource Parents:
You can receive renewal hours by attending any of our classes except the Pre-Service Certification Trainings. These particular trainings are offered to people that have not taken the D, F, or W Rate before and need to receive certification for the first time.
Weekly Kinship Support Group (Spanish):