Students applying for federal and state financial aid programs must meet the following general requirements: 

Be a U.S. Citizen or an Eligible Non-Citizen

An eligible non-citizen is a U.S. permanent resident who has documentation from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) verifying permanent residency in the United States. Acceptable documentation for U.S. Citizen includes:

  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Birth Abroad (Form FS-454, DS-1350, or FS-240)
  • U.S. Passport

Acceptable documentation for permanent residents includes:

  • Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551)
  • Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-151)
  • Foreign passport (Must be stamped; Processed for I-551 with an expiration date)
  • I-94 (Must be stamped; Processed for I-551 with an expiration date, or Temporary Form I-551 with appropriate information filled in, Arrival-Departure Record Form I-94 (Must be stamped as a Refugee, Asylum Status, Conditional Entrant (before April 1, 1980), Parolee, Cuban-Haitian Entrant

Enrollment in an Eligible Academic Program

Be enrolled as a regular student in an eligible Certificate, Associates, or Transfer Program.  Read more to confirm if you have a valid goal on record. 

Have the Equivalent of a High School Diploma

Students must meet one of the following criteria:

  1. A high school graduate from either a US or foreign high school;
  2. Have passed a high school proficiency examination;
  3. Have passed the General Education Development (GED) test;
  4. Successfully completed six (6) degree applicable college units with a grade C or better;

Meet Satisfactory Academic Standards

Be making satisfactory academic progress in a course of study leading to an Associate in Arts or Associate in Science degree, Certificate, or transfer to a baccalaureate degree program. 

Defaulted Loan

Not currently in default on any student loans such as Federal Perkins loan, Federal Stafford loan, Federal Direct loan at any previously attended colleges or universities.


Have not been convicted of possessing or selling illegal drugs.

Financial Need

Demonstrate financial need, which is determined by the applicant's Cost of Attendance minus the Expected Family Contribution (EFC), on the financial aid application.

Not Owe Refund or Repayment

Not owe a refund or repayment on a Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) or Cal Grant programs.

Selective Service Registration

Male students between the ages of 18 and 26 years must register with the Selective Service. If you have passed your 26th birthday and have not registered with the Selective Service then you must explain why you did not register. 

Social Security Number

Have a valid social security number.