How do I qualify?
EOP&S / CARE Information Sheet
EXTENDED OPPORTUNITY PROGRAM & SERVICES
Student Service Village Room 119
(323) 953-4000 Ext. 2300
The EOP&S is a state-funded supplemental support services program designed to assist qualified low-income and educationally disadvantaged students in completing their educational goals. The EOP&S/CARE IS NOT SOLELY A BOOK SERVICES PROGRAM. The program also provides the following services:
· Academic counseling
· University Transfer Assistance/Information and campus visits (field trips), application of admissions fee waivers.
· Cap and Gown for graduation
· Student Educational Plan (SEP)
· Book voucher services
· Priority Registration
· CARE Program — additional services for EOP&S students who are single parents with child (children) 14 years of age or younger and recipients of TANF (cash aid) or Cal Works.
EOPS Eligibility Information
To be eligible for EOPS, a student must meet all SIX (6) of the eligibility criteria:
- Be a California resident.
- Qualify for a Board of Governors Waiver (BOGW) A or B, BOGW C does not qualify.
- Must be enrolled in 12 or more units at LACC. If a student is verified by Office of Special Services (OSS) as an active participant, the student may be enrolled in 6 units or more at LACC. Summer & Winter terms are subject to state funds availability.
- Have completed LESS THAN 69 degree applicable units total from all colleges attended.
- Have not earned an AA/AS degree or higher, or the equivalent of a foreign degree.
- Be determined educationally disadvantaged.
Educational Disadvantaged status is determined by providing proof of one (1) of the following:
· Assessment scores with recommended placement non-degree applicable (NDA)
English and/or Math
· Current enrollment in remedial English and/or Math
· Prior enrollment within or outside of the district in LACCD equivalent remedial
English and/or Math course(s)
· Other Factors as stated within Title V Guidelines may be used in the event that a
student does not qualify into the program
Once a student has met all six (6) of the eligibility criteria, a student is encouraged to
submit and EOPS/CARE application:
A completed application must meet all FOUR (4) of the following requirements:
1. Proof of enrollment (at LACC) in at least 12 units or enrolled in at least 6 if verified by OSS.
2. Proof of current BOGW (Fee waiver) A or B status. BOGW C does not qualify.
3. If applicable, legible transcripts from ALL college(s) enrolled or attended outside of the Los Angeles Community College District* regardless of the coursework completed, past degree objective or grades received. a. PLEASE NOTE: EOP&S will verify previous enrollment and /or attendance of all schools. Failure to submit transcripts will delay the application processing and in some cases can cause disqualification for admission to the program.
4. Current remedial English and/or Math assessment test scores or proof (official/unofficial transcripts) of the equivalent courses taken outside the *Los Angeles College District.
***Note: All applicants must provide a valid e-mail address for processing***
Application Process: Application processing usually takes 5 business days. During the beginning of the each term, processing can take up to 7 business days so please plan accordingly. The status of an application can be reviewed on the EOPS website at:www.lacitycollege.edu/services/eops
- Application that are missing the required documents (transcripts, test scores, OSS verification, BOGG changes, etc) to make a decision is considered incomplete. The 5 business day processing DOES NOT apply to incomplete applications.
- It is the responsibility of the student to check and submit the documents that are needed to complete the application.
Complete and approved applications:
- If your application is approved, you need to attend a mandatory EOP&S orientation.
- The orientation will cover the students’ responsibilities in order to remain eligible for services.
- After orientation, allow two (2) business days to have an active EOPS book voucher. EOPS book vouchers are retrieved from the EOPS website:
* Los Angeles Community College District Schools:
LA City College · LA Mission College · LA Trade-Technical College · East LA College Pierce College · LA Valley College · LA Harbor College · LA Southwest College · W e s t LA College