CIA - The World Factbook
- Information on the history, people, government, economy, geography, communications, transportation, military, and transnational issues for 267 world entities. Includes maps, flags, time zones, and more.
Dictionary - Merriam-Webster Online
- Includes main sections of the Collegiate Dictionary, as well as simplified versions of the Thesaurus, Spanish-English Dictionary, Medical Dictionary and even Concise Encyclopedia. The resources are free; however, be prepared to view lots of advertisements.
Federal Student Aid Information Center
- U.S. Department of Education provides three basic types of federal student aid: grants, loans, and work-study. To receive federal student aid, a student must be enrolled in an eligible program at a participating postsecondary institution.
Note: Federal School Code for Los Angeles City College is: 001223.
Health and Medical Information from National Library of Medicine
- Authoritative, up-to-date health information from governmental databases such as MEDLINE (journals), Medline Plus (consumer health in plain language), AIDSinfo, and more.
Internet Public Library (Merged with Librarians' Internet Index)
- Sponsored by major universities and run by librarians and graduate students, this renowned online reference portal consists of an extensive directory of critically selected links as well as an online question answering service.
Nobelprize.org - The Official Website of the Nobel Prize
- Information about every Nobel Prize since 1901, including the Nobel Laureates' biographies, Nobel Lectures, interviews, photos, articles, video clips, press releases, educational games, and more.
Occupational Outlook Handbook
- Published by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, Occupational Outlook Handbook is a nationally recognized source of career information, designed to provide valuable assistance to individuals making decisions about their future work lives.
Project Gutenberg - Free eBooks Online
- No fee or registration is required because the books in the Project Gutenberg collection are distributed as public domain. Free, full text access to over 46,000 (and growing) digitized books such as Beowulf, Peter Pan, Odyssey, Bible, Quran, The Sayings of Confucius, works of Shakespeare, Plato and more.
Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy
- Hosted by California's Stanford University, Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy organizes scholars from around the world to create and maintain an up-to-date reference work. Developed with the help of, among others, the National Endowment for the Humanities and the National Science Foundation.
Statistics from the National Center for Health Statistics
- This governmental portal is a rich source of accurate, relevant, and timely information about America's health statistics.
- US Census Bureau
- The Census Bureau's mission is to serve as the leading source of quality data about the nation's people and economy. We honor privacy, protect confidentiality, share our expertise globally, and conduct our work openly.
ZIP Code Lookup
- An online tool from the United States Postal Service. Find a ZIP code (and an extended ZIP+4 code) by entering a street address, city, and state. You can also enter a street address and ZIP Code to get a USPS standardized version of the address.