Frequently Asked Questions

Can I use a Practice Room without enrolling in a class?

No. If you drop your co-requisite course at any time during the semester, you will lose your privilege to use the corresponding lab.

How can use the Music Library?

The Music Library is open to any student enrolled in Music 121, 122, 200, 201, 202, 203, 217-2, 218-2, 219-2, 221, 223, 231, 181, 182, 183, or 184. 

Students must complete a Music Library Agreement to use the library. Find the Music Library Agreement here

How can I use the Piano Practice Rooms?

Piano rooms are limited to students enrolled in the following:

  • Music 185, 285, 217-2, 218-2, 219-2, 251-1, 251-2, 313, 314, 341-1/2/3/4, 361-1, 400, 401, 402, 403, 404, 431, 432, 433, 434, 501, 531, 601, 602, 603, 604, 611, 612, 613, 614, 621, 622, 623, 624, 631, 632, 633, 634, 650, 651, 652, 653, 654, 670, 705, 711, 725, 751, 765, 771 or 781.

Students must complete a Practice Room Agreement to use the practice rooms. Find the Practice Room Agreement Here

How can I use the Electronic Keyboard Practice Lab?

The Keyboard Practice Lab is open to any student enrolled in Music 101, 200, 311, 312, 361-1, 251-1, 251-2, or 705.

Students must complete a Keyboard Lab Agreement to use the keyboard lab. Find the Keyboard Lab Agreement Here

How can I use the Computer Lab?

The Computer Lab is available to students enrolled in Music 161, 203, 221, 241, 242, 243, 261-1, 281, 282, 291, 292, 181, 182, 183, and 184.

Students must complete a Computer Lab Agreement to use the computer lab. Find the Computer Lab Agreement Here

Where may I practice Percussion instruments?

Percussionists in the appropriate co-requisite (Music 631, 632, 633, 634 or 765) may use the piano practice rooms.

What does it mean if a class in the schedule is broken down as lec and lab? 

Some classes have both a lecture and lab component, and are listed as such in the schedule. Nonetheless, these are single class periods. For example,

8298 lec 1:30PM - 3:35PM M C.M. BLAKE CH 104
& lab 3:35PM - 5:40PM M C.M. BLAKE CH 104

is a single course that runs on Mondays from 1:30-5:40PM.

What is Directed Study (Music 185 and 285)?

In Directed Study, the student works on a musical project with guidance from an instructor. Students should outline the project with the instructor, enroll in the corresponding lab, keep a weekly journal, and meet with the instructor each week for guidance and to discuss progress on the project. Students must complete the required 13 hours in the practice room and complete the project to get credit for the class.

To enroll in a Directed Study course, students should pick up an application in the Music Office, fill out and turn in to the Music Department Chair for approval.  If approved, the student will receive an add slip for the course, which can be processed at Admissions.

What does it mean to be a Music Major?

During your first semester as a Music Major, you should enroll in Introduction to Music Theory, Piano, Current Musical Events (Music 152), and a Performance Ensemble.

For each subsequent semester you should enroll in Harmony, Musicianship, Piano, Current Musical Events (Music 152), and a Performance Ensemble. Additional requirements include Music Appreciation (Music 111) and electives.

Which classes qualify as a Performance Ensemble?

Performance ensembles include College Choir (Music 501), Philharmonic Choir (Music 531), Chamber Music (Music 705), Rehearsal Orchestra (Music 711), Community Orchestra (Music 725), Wind Ensemble (Music 751), Percussion Ensemble (Music 765), Guitar Ensemble (Music 771) and Studio Jazz Band (Music 781).

Instrumental students who do not yet qualify for an instrumental performance class should enroll in College Choir (Music 501).

What Music Department scholarships are available?

Most scholarships are limited to Music Majors, but there are some exceptions. Check the Music Office for application deadlines and requirements.

Scholarships/awards include the Marion Suovanen Memorial Scholarship, William D. Kevany Memorial Scholarship, Jazz Band Scholarship, Dr. Glynn T. Settle Memorial Scholarship, Robert E. Wilkinson Memorial Scholarship, Elizabeth R. Mayer Memorial Scholarship, Book Awards, Alice Sutton Scholarship, David A. Alpert Scholarship, Herb Alpert Scholarship, Abbott Award, Paul Park Most Improved Pianist Award, Academic Achievement Awards, Outstanding Academic Achievement Award, Leslie P. Clausen Scholarship, Service Award, and Performance Audition Award.

These scholarships/awards are handed out at the end of either the Fall or Spring semester during the Honors Program.

How many times can I take a class?

Students may repeat ensembles up to three times, including Chamber Music (Music 705), Rehearsal Orchestra (Music 711), Community Orchestra (Music 725), Wind Ensemble (Music 751), Percussion Ensemble (Music 765), Guitar Ensemble (Music 771) and Studio Jazz Band (Music 781).