Skip to Main Content

Extended Opportunity Program & Services (EOPS/CARE/CAFYES)

Frequently Asked Questions about CARE

What is CARE?

The CARE program provides assistance for single parents pursuing their educational goals under the TANF/CalWORKs program.

What services does CARE provide?
  • CARE Counselor/Coordinator and support staff
  • Academic, personal, and retention counseling
  • Priority appointment with CARE counselor
  • Mini counseling sessions
  • Educational workshops
  • University and Cultural field trips
  • School supply kit
  • Student parking permit (with proper verification)
  • ASG Benefits (students with CARE issued parking permit only)
  • Auto gas cards (at the start of the semester and during workshops)
  • Meal credit
  • Book Express Service
  • Laptop loan program (limited availability on first come, first served basis)
How do I qualify?
To be eligible for CARE a student must:

1. Be an eligible full-time EOPS student with a 2.0 GPA (good standing);
2. Be a single parent/head of household;
3. Be 18 years of age or older;
4. Be a CalWORKs/cash aid recipient;
5. Have at least one child under fourteen (14) years of age

Income Guidelines

Students who are unable to pay the enrollment fee should complete the Board of Governors Enrollment Fee Waiver application and submit it to the college Financial Aid Office for processing prior to payment of their enrollment fees.

Students who complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) will be given an automatic fee waiver based upon the information reported on the application.

There are three ways to qualify for a Fee Waiver:
  1. Method A (BOGW A) You or your family are receiving TANF/CalWORKs (formerly AFDC), General Assistance (GA), or Supplemental Security Income/State Supplementary Program (SSI/SSP)
  2. Method B (BOGW B) For families or students whose family income and size fall within the following limits:

Family Size/2016 Income


  • Each Additional Family Member $6,030
  • Please note that Method C (BOGW C) DOES NOT qualify for EOPS Services.

3. Method C (BOGW C)

  • Students who do not meet the above criteria, but have financial need as established by the College Financial Aid Office, may also be eligible for an Enrollment Fee Waiver.
  • To qualify, students must complete a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and provide proof of prior year income. Processing of this type of fee waiver takes approximately five working days.

Special Classification Enrollment Fee Waivers:
You may also be eligible for a BOGW if any of the following is true:

  • You are a dependent of a deceased or disabled veteran of the U.S. Military.
  • You are a recipient of a Congressional Medal of Honor or a child of a recipient.
  • You are a dependent of a victim of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attack.
  • You are a dependent of a deceased law enforcement/fire suppression person killed in the line of duty.

Proof of these benefits is required.

Other financial aid may be available to students who meet the qualification requirements. Students with questions concerning financial aid eligibility should contact the College Financial Aid Office, SSB 1st Floor.

How is educationally disadvantaged determined?

A student is considered educationally disadvantaged if she/he meets one of the following conditions:

  • Does not have a high school diploma or GED
  • High school GPA less than 2.5
  • College assessment scores as follows:
    • Mathematics: placement in a Math course of 115 or lower
    • English skills: placement in an English course of 28 or lower
  • There are other criteria that the EOPS program would use in the event that a student does not qualify by any of the above. The student should complete the EOPS application to determine eligibility.

How is residency determined?

All students not meeting the requirements below will be classified as "nonresidents" and are subject to nonresident tuition and enrollment fees. Students shall receive resident student classification if they qualify under one of the following conditions and can provide supporting documentation:

  • The student (age 18) and the student's parent or legal guardian has resided in California for at least one year and one day prior to the beginning of the semester.
  • The student (age 19 or older) has resided in California for at least one year and one day prior to the beginning of the semester.
  • The student is under 18 years of age and his/her parent or legal guardian has resided in California for at least one year and one day prior to the beginning of the semester.

Active duty military personnel and their dependents are granted residency for tuition purposes. These students must prove date of entry into California, and that such assignment is for other than educational purposes. For more information on establishing or proving residency, see the brochure on "Establishing California Residency," which is available from the Admissions & Records Office.

For a Better Future Join CARE!

For further questions please contact:

Rosemary Valencia
CARE Counselor/Coordinator
(323) 953-4000 ext. 2465

Annet Estrella
CARE Coordinator Assistant
(323) 953-4000 ext. 2313

You may also visit us at EOPS/CARE office in the Student Service Building, 3rd Floor.

View the CARE flyer!

 Contact Us

Student Services Building, 3rd Floor

(323) 953-4000 ext. 2300

Los Angeles City College | 855 N. Vermont Avenue, Los Angeles California 90029


Phone: 323.953.4000


Emergency: 323.953.2911