Skip to Main Content

Financial Aid

Student Eligibility

Students applying for federal and state financial aid programs must meet the following general requirements:

Be a U.S. Citizen or an Eligible Non-Citizen

An eligible non-citizen is a U.S. permanent resident who has documentation from the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) verifying permanent residency in the United States. Acceptable documentation for U.S. Citizen includes:

  • Certificate of Citizenship
  • Certificate of Naturalization
  • Certificate of Birth Abroad (Form FS-454, DS-1350, or FS-240)
  • U.S. Passport

Acceptable documentation for permanent residents includes:

  • Permanent Resident Card (Form I-551)
  • Alien Registration Receipt Card (Form I-151)
  • Foreign passport (Must be stamped; Processed for I-551 with an expiration date)
  • I-94 (Must be stamped; Processed for I-551 with an expiration date, or Temporary Form I-551 with appropriate information filled in), Arrival-Departure Record Form I-94 (Must be stamped as a Refugee, Asylum Status, Conditional Entrant before April 1, 1980, Parolee, Cuban-Haitian Entrant)

Enrollment in an Eligible Academic Program

Be enrolled as a regular student in an eligible Certificate, Associates, or Transfer Program. Contact your counselor to evaluate if you have a valid academic program and educational goal on record. Refer to this link for a list of financial aid eligible academic programs

Have the Equivalent of a High School Diploma

Students must meet one of the following criteria:

  1. Be a high school graduate from either a US or foreign high school;
  2. Have passed a high school proficiency examination;
  3. Have passed the General Education Development (GED) test;
  4. Have successfully completed six (6) degree-applicable college units with a grade C or better.

Meet Satisfactory Academic Standards

Students must make satisfactory academic progress in a course of study leading to an Associate in Arts or Associate in Science degree, Certificate, or transfer to a baccalaureate degree program.

Defaulted Loan

Students must not currently be in default on any student loans such as Federal Perkins loan, Federal Stafford loan, or Federal Direct loan at any previously attended colleges or universities.


Students must not have been convicted of possessing or selling illegal drugs.

Financial Need

Students must demonstrate financial need, which is determined by the applicant's Cost of Attendance minus the Expected Family Contribution (EFC) on the financial aid application.

Not Owe a Refund or Repayment

Students must not owe a refund or repayment on a Federal Pell Grant, Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG), or Cal Grant programs.

Selective Service Registration

Male students between the ages of 18 and 26 years must register with the Selective Service. If you have passed your 26th birthday and have not registered with the Selective Service, then you must explain why you did not register.

Social Security Number

Students must have a valid social security number.

 Contact Us

Student Services Building, 1st Floor

(323) 953-4000 ext. 2010
Fax: (323) 953-4029

 Office Hours

Financial Aid Office Hours

Monday: 8:00am - 6:30pm

Tuesday: 8:00am - 6:30pm

Wednesday: 8:00am - 6:30pm

Thursday: 8:00am - 2:00 pm and 4:00pm - 6:30pm

Friday: 8:00am - 2:00pm

Tuesday, October 9, 2018 closed from 12 pm to 2:30 pm

 Download the GradGuru App!

GradGuru is a free app customized by Los Angeles City College that helps you stay on track by sending you tips and alerts on college deadlines!

Los Angeles City College | 855 N. Vermont Avenue, Los Angeles California 90029


Phone: 323.953.4000


Emergency: 323.953.2911